All your motorcycle training FAQ’s answered – for more info or to contact our rider training school please see the Advanced Riding Techniques website.

  • how do i get started?

    A valid UK driving licence is required before taking any UK motorcycle test or training course. This can either be a full car licence or a provisional licence.

    • Age limits:
    • Age 16 – Moped (category AM) riders are limited to a 50cc scooter and no faster than 45Kph (28mph), you will need CBT first. If Moped registered before 2004 then 50Kph (30mph).
    • Age 17 – Motorcycle (category A1) riders can ride up to a 125cc machine with a maximum power of 11kw. (14.6 BHP) manual or automatic. You will need CBT and Motorcycle Theory Test first.
    • Age 19 – Motorcycle (category A2) You can take the A2 practical test for a full licence of 35 kW/47 Bhp. You will need CBT and Motorcycle Theory Test first.
    • Age 24 – Motorcycle (category A) You are able to take the full direct access course. (Taken on a bike that produces at least 40kW or 54 BHP). You will need CBT and Motorcycle Theory Test first.

    The Theory test
    Before you can take any motorcycle full licence test, you will have to take and pass the theory test for motorcycles (includes the hazard perception test), this will still apply even if you have full entitlements of other category (Car, HGV or P.S.V). The price is currently £26.00. At present you have to answer 43 out of 50 multiple choice questions correctly.

    To practice a theory test online Go Here (Official DSA website)

    To book your theory test on the phone call 0300 200 1122

  • i have never ridden before?

    We would always recommend a one to one lesson with an instructor first. These are either a 60 or 90 minute New Rider Course with a fully qualified instructor, with motorcycle or scooter hire and full safety kit supplied.

  • do i need to do a motorcycle theory test before i can take a cbt course?

    No, your CBT just qualifies you as a learner for a two year period and as such you do NOT need to take a theory test, you must however pass one before any full motorcycle test can be taken.

  • what if i have already passed a theory test for another type of vehicle? i.e. car, hgv or psv do i have to take it again?

    Yes every type of licence category requires a theory test relevant to the vehicle that the test is being taken on.

  • i have a full car licence, what can i ride?

    If your licence was issued before 1st February 2001, then you can ride a 50cc moped, capable of not more than 30mph. Strangely enough, you will not need to display L plates, and you can carry a passenger if the motorcycle has a passenger seat and rear footrests. If you want to ride a motorcycle of over 50cc, up to 125cc, you must take Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), you must display L plates, and you must not carry passengers. The CBT certificate is valid for 2 years.

  • what if my full car licence was issued after 1st february 2001?

    Then you will need to take Compulsory Basic training (CBT). Once you have completed this course, you will be able to ride a 50cc moped without L plates, until your licence expires at age 70, and you will also be able to ride a motorcycle of up to 125cc (A1) with L plates (no passengers allowed) for 2 years from the date you completed the CBT course.

  • i have a full car licence, do i need to do a theory test and take cbt to get a full motorcycle licence?

    Yes. Everyone must take a motorcycle theory test and CBT before they can take the motorcycle practical test. The only exception is for someone who has already passed an A1 or A2 Motorcycle test, and wants to upgrade their licence.

  • with the new two part testing is it now much harder to pass the motorcycle test?

    No, here at ART we ensure that all of our training courses are tailored to your individual needs, our motorcycle training courses are in line with the Driving Standards Agency recommendations that all training should be “modular, structured training over a period of time”, this means you can learn comfortably at you own pace & also spread the cost as well.

  • i have a provisional licence, what can i ride?

    With a provisional licence, you are not allowed to ride on the road until you have completed Compulsory Basic Training. Once you have completed the course you can ride a 50cc moped, or if you are 17 years old or over, with category A on your provisional licence, you can ride a learner legal motorcycle up to 125cc. You will also have to display L plates at all times, and you are not allowed to carry passengers or travel on motorways. Your CBT certificate will only be valid for 2 years, so you will need to renew it, or go on to take your full licence before it expires.

  • i just want to ride a 125cc motorbike or scooter but do not want to have to take cbt every two years?

    To ride a bike up to 125cc of no more than 11kW (14.6Bhp), you will need a CBT, motorcycle theory test and then take both module 1 & module 2 practical motorbike tests on a 125cc motorcycle that produces no more than 11kW (14.6Bhp). This is the A1 motorcycle licence category.

  • i just want to ride a medium motorbike, around 400-700cc, what do i need to do?

    To ride a bike up to a power limit of 47 BHP or 35kW, you will need a CBT, motorcycle theory test and then take both module 1 & module 2 practical motorbike tests on a 47Bhp motorcycle that is a t least 395cc. This is the A2 motorcycle licence category.
    It should be noted that the A2 (standard bike) is not done by size (cc’s) of bike but by power output. Please see the manufactures website for power specifications, or ask one of our sales team.

  • i want to ride a large bike of any size, what do i need to do?

    To ride a big bike, you will need a full (A) motorcycle licence. To get one of these, first, you need to be over 24 years old, with either a full car licence, or a provisional licence showing Category A. Next, you will need to pass the Motorcycle Theory test. Then you will need to complete Compulsory Basic training (CBT). After both of these are complete you can go on to take your Motorcycle Practical Test, which must be taken on a machine of OVER 54Bhp or 40kW to qualify for the full licence.
    Can I practice for my test on my own bike?
    No, unless you are riding a (A1) 125cc only, you MUST be accompanied by a fully qualified (not just a friend with a full licence) DVSA approved instructor to ride anything bigger.

  • i took my cbt on a 50cc moped when i was 16 years old. i’m now 17 and i would like to ride a 125cc bike. what do i need to do?

    First, check that your licence shows Category A provisional. If so, you can ride a 125cc machine for as long as your CBT certificate lasts (two years at a time). If your licence doesn’t have Category A showing, you will need to apply to D.V.L.A Swansea to get it added on.

  • i took my cbt on an automatic scooter. can i ride a motorcycle with clutch and gears?

    Yes, provided you comply with the age and engine size/power restrictions mentioned above, the CBT is at present valid for either type of transmission. (But this will change 2019) We would always recommend however that you take your CBT on the type of transmission that you are going to ride.

  • i took my full licence test on an automatic scooter. can i ride a motorcycle with clutch and gears?

    No, a full licence taken on a motorcycle with automatic transmission will only allow you to ride automatic bikes or scooters, until you pass a practical test on a motorcycle with manual transmission.

  • i’m 16 years old, and i’ve completed my cbt. is there a test i can do to ride a bigger bike?

    No. You can take a full Moped test, by first passing the theory and then the moped practical test. You would then be entitled to ride without L plates, and carry a passenger, but you would still be limited to 50cc.

  • i have a full car licence. do i need to change it, to add provisional motorcycle entitlement to it, before i can start training for a motorcycle licence?

    In most cases, no. Normally a full car licence would already have provisional motorcycle entitlement. You must still have a valid Compulsory Basic training certificate before riding any motorcycle on the road.