Open 7 days a week - call us on 01293 413300
(Service Centre CLOSED Sundays)
Your Basket: £0.00 (empty)- [View Basket] [Checkout]
Motorcycle TrainingMotorcycle Training

Motorcycle Training FAQs

Here are the most common Frequently Asked Questions

ART Motorcycle Training ART Motorcycle Training Logo ART Rides Motorcycle Training

A valid UK driving licence is required before taking any motorcycle test. This can either be a full car licence or a provisional licence.

  • Age limits:
  • Age 16 – Moped (category P) riders are limited to a 50cc scooter and no faster than 50KPH (31mph), you will need CBT first.
  • Age 17 – Motorcycle (category A) riders can upgrade to a 125cc machine with a maximum power of 11kw. (14.6 BHP) manual or automatic. You will need CBT first.
  • Age 17 -You can take the A2 practical test for a full licence of 25 kwh/33 BHP (two year limit then automaticaly up grades), or A1 which is taken on a machine of less than 120cc (this will restrict you to a 125 but no L-Plates). You will need CBT and Motorcycle Theory Test first.
  • Age 21 – You are able to take the full direct access course. (taken on a bike that produces at least 35 kwh or 47 BHP). You will need CBT and Motorcycle Theory Test first.

The Theory test
Before you can take any motorcycle full licence test, you will have to take and pass the theory test for motorcycles (includes the hazard perception test), this will still apply even if you have full entitlements of other category (Car, HGV or P.S.V). The price is currently £31.00. At present you have to to answer 43 out of 50 multiple choice questions correctly. The pass mark for the hazard perception part of the theory test is 44 out of 75. The hazard perception part is delivered on a computer and you respond by clicking a button on the mouse. You will be presented with a series of 13 video clips which feature every-day road scenes. In each clip there will be at least one developing hazard, but one of the clips will feature two developing hazards. To achieve a high score you will need to respond to the developing hazard during the early part of its development. The maximum you can score on each hazard is five.

To practice a theory test online Go Here (Official DSA website)

To book a theory test online Go Here (Official DSA website)

To book your theory test on the phone call 0300 200 1122

Do I need to do a motorcycle theory test before I can take a CBT course?

No your CBT just qualifes you as a learner for a two year period and as such you do NOT need to take a theory test, you must however pass one before full motorcycle test can be taken.

What if I have already passed a theory test for another type of vehicle? i.e. Car, HGV or PSV do I have to take it again?

Yes every type of licence catogery requires a theory test relevant to the vehicle that the test is being taken on.

I have a full car licence, what can I ride?

If your licence was issued before 1st February 2001, then you can ride a 50cc moped, capable of not more than 30mph. Strangely enough, you will not need to display L plates, and you can carry a passenger if the motorcycle has a passenger seat and rear footrests. If you want to ride a motorcycle of over 50cc, up to 125cc, you must take Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), you must display L plates, and you must not carry passengers. The CBT certificate is valid for 2 years.

What if my full car licence was issued after 1st February 2001?

Then you will need to take Compulsory Basic training (CBT). Once you have completed this course, you will be able to ride a 50cc moped without L plates, until your licence expires at age 70, and you will also be able to ride a motorcycle of up to 125cc with L plates (no passengers allowed) for 2 years from the date you completed the CBT course.

I have a full car licence, do I need to do a theory test and take CBT to get a full motorcycle licence?

Yes. Everyone must take a motorcycle theory test and CBT before they can take the motorcycle practical test. The only exception is for someone who has already passed a standard Motorcycle test, and wants to upgrade to a higher power machine.

With the new two part testing is it now much harder to pass the motorcycle test?

No, here at ART we ensure that all of our training courses are tailored to your individual needs, our motorcycle training courses are in line with the Driving Standards Agency reccomendations that all training should be “modular, structured training over a period of time”, this means you can learn comftably at you own pace & also spread the cost as well.

I have a provisional licence, what can I ride?

With a provisional licence, you are not allowed to ride on the road until you have completed Compulsory Basic Training. Once you have completed the course you can ride a 50cc moped, or if you are 17 years old or over, with category A on your provisional licence, you can ride a learner legal motorcycle up to 125cc. You will also have to display L plates at all times, and you are not allowed to carry passengers or travel on motorways. Your CBT certificate will only be valid for 2 years, so you will need to renew it, or go on to take your full licence before it expires.

I just want to ride a small motorbike, around 250cc, what do I need to do?

To ride a bike up to a power limit of 33 BHP or 25KWH, you will need a CBT, motorcycle theory test and then take both module 1 & module 2 practical motorbike tests on a 125cc motorcycle.

I want to ride a big bike, around 600cc, what do I need to do?

To ride a big bike, you will need a full (A) motorcycle licence. To get one of these, first, you need to be over 21 years old, with either a full car licence, or a provisional licence showing Category A. Next, you will need to pass the Motorcycle Theory test (phone 0870 0101372, with your driving licence number, to book.) Then you will need to complete Compulsory Basic training (CBT). Then you can go on to take your Motorcycle Practical Test, which must be taken on a machine of OVER 47Bhp or 35kw to qualify for the full licence. (if you want to practice for the test on a motorcycle of more than 125cc, you MUST be accompanied by a DSA approved instructor, not just a friend with a full licence.)

I want to ride a big bike, around 600cc, but I’m not 21 years old yet. Is there anything I can do?

Yes! If you are between 17 and 20 years old you can take the restricted licence route. You will need to start with a licence showing provisional Category A, then you need to pass the Motorcycle theory test, complete Compulsory Basic Training, then go on to pass your Practical Motorcycle test on a 125cc machine. Once you have passed, you will have a full category A2 (restricted) licence, which entitles you to ride any SIZE motorcycle, provided it does not produce more than 33bhp, or 25kw. Many larger motorcycles can be restricted to this power limit, and the good news is that once you have held a full A2 licence for 2 years, regardless of your age) it automatically becomes a full, unrestricted (A) licence and you can ride any motorcycle you fancy.

I took my CBT on a 50cc moped when I was 16 years old. I’m now 17 and I would like to ride a 125cc bike. What do I need to do?

First, check that your licence shows Category A provisional. If so, you can ride a 125cc machine for as long as your CBT certificate lasts. If your licence doesn’t have Category A showing, you will need to apply to D.V.L.A Swansea to get it added on. Once you have got your licence back, you will be able to ride a 125cc machine until your CBT certificate expires.

I took my CBT on an automatic scooter. Can I ride a motorcycle with clutch and gears?

Yes, provided you comply with the age and engine size/power restrictions mentioned above, the CBT is normally valid for either type of transmission.

I took my full licence test on an automatic scooter. Can I ride a motorcycle with clutch and gears?

A full licence taken on a motorcycle with automatic transmission will only act as a provisional licence for manual bikes, so you will be limited to 125cc with L plates, until you pass a Practical test on a motorcycle with manual transmission.

I’m 16 years old, and I’ve completed my CBT. Is there a test I can do to ride a bigger bike?

No. You can take a full Moped test, by first passing the theory and then the moped practical test. You would then be entitled to ride without L plates, and carry a passenger, but you would still be limited to 50cc and 50 KPH.

I have a Full Car licence. Do I need to change it, to add provisional motorcycle entitlement to it, before I can start training for a Motorcycle Licence?

In most cases, no. Normally a full car licence would already have provisional motorcycle entitlement, shown as Category A in the green section of an old style paper licence, or on the counterpart of a photocard licence.( You must still have a valid Compulsory Basic training certificate before riding any motorcycle on the road).

I have a provisional licence, issued a few years ago. Will I need to change it or renew it before I start training for a Motorcycle Licence?

Probably yes! Many older provisional licences had a 2 year limit on Category A, motorcycle entitlement. The good news is that the 2 year limit no longer applies, but you MUST have it renewed by D.V.L.A Swansea if it has expired, otherwise you will not be able to ride anything bigger than a 50cc moped, even if you have a valid CBT Certificate. D.V.L.A usually take about 3 weeks to exchange a licence.

Motorcycle Training
How we deal with cookies
Cookies are used on the P&H Website to enhance certain features of our content. We will assume that you are happy to receive this content if you continue.

You can alter your settings any time by clicking the COOKIES link which appears at the bottom of each page or by clicking here

We accept the following cards:
Methods of Payment
Our Social Channels
You Tube
P&H Motorcycles Ltd, registered in England, registration no: 3002531
Site Version: 3.2
SecurityMetrics for PCI Compliance, QSA, IDS, Penetration Testing, Forensics, and Vulnerability Assessment

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional